Jordan Encounters, Jordan
This is the perfect Jordan adventure tour. Our 8-day tour starts in Amman and a visit to Jerash’s Roman ruins, before heading to the Red Sea at Aqaba where you can enjoy snorkelling over the colourful corals or relaxing on the sandy beach. From Aqaba we head to nearby Wadi Rum for a jeep safari through the spectacular desert and mountain scenery, then we overnight in a Bedouin camp. Our next stop is the amazing Lost City of Petra, were we spend plenty of time exploring this incredible UNESCO world heritage site. En route to Petra we stop at the interest crusader castle at Shobak. After our tour of Petra we head further north along the scenic King's Highway, stopping at Madaba, Mt Nebo and a memorable swim, or perhaps float, in the Dead Sea, en-route to Amman. We then travel back to Amman completing your Jordan tour.
- Day 1 Arrive in Jordan. Transfer to hotel
- Upon arrival our staff will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel in Amman for the start of your trip. They'll help you settle in and introduce you to the local area.
OvernightAmman - 3 star hotel ExtrasExtra night - pre-tour
- Day 2 Amman city tour & Jerash
- We start today with a tour of Amman’s city centre, visiting the Citadel, Roman amphitheatre and bazaars. Later we visit the incredibly well preserved ancient Roman site of Jerash.
OvernightAmman - 3 star hotel MealsBreakfast
- Day 3 Drive the Desert Highway to Aqaba
- This morning we transfer by road along the Desert Highway to the Red Sea beach resort in Aqaba. The afternoon is then free to spend at the beach or trying some snorkelling or scuba diving excursions to explore the Red Sea’s coral reefs and fishes.
OvernightAqaba - 4 star beach resort MealsBreakfast ExtrasSnorkelling in the Red Sea
- Day 4 Aqaba Fort & Wadi Rum Jeep safari
- We visit Aqaba Fort before driving north to Wadi Rum. Here we enjoy Bedouin hospitality and a 4WD jeep safari through the spectacular desert scenery with its towering cliffs, bizarre rock formations and sandy dunes. This evening there’s an optional sunset camel ride before we sleep under the stars in a Bedouin camp.
OvernightWadi Rum - Bedouin camp MealsBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Day 5 Shobak crusader castle & Little Petra
- We bid farewell to our Bedouin hosts this morning and travel north to Shobak Castle, one in a chain of Crusader fortresses built across Jordan in the 12th Century. We then visit the site of Little Petra, which was a suburb of the main city and provides a great introduction to the larger buildings and tombs we’ll see tomorrow. This evening you may book an optional first visit to Petra for the spectacular Petra by Candlelight tour.
OvernightPetra - 3 star hotel MealsBreakfast ExtrasPetra by night
- Day 6 Petra
- We enjoy a full day today inside the world famous Nabatean site of Petra. Carved into the rocks and left undiscovered for centuries Petra has always been an enduring attraction for explorers. We include a guided tour of the area with plenty of free time to explore on your own.
OvernightPetra - 3 star hotel MealsBreakfast, Lunch
- Day 7 Drive the Kings Highway to the Dead Sea and Amman
- After breakfast we depart Petra for the scenic drive north up the King’s Highway. This is a beautiful drive, passing through small villages, farmland and olive groves and winding up and down huge deep valleys (Wadi Mujib being the largest). En-route we pass the crusader castle at Kerak and stop to see the ancient Roman mosaics at Madaba and see the views and churches at the top of Mt. Nebo, from where Moses was shown the Promised Land. We then arrive at the Dead Sea where we are able to float and swim in its unique salty waters before we return to Amman for our last night in Jordan.
OvernightAmman - 3 star hotel MealsBreakfast
- Day 8 Amman. Free time. Transfer to airport
- Your time is free today until we transfer you to Amman airport for your departure flight. Alternatively you may wish to take one of a number of optional day trips. These include tours to Ajloun Castle and Umm Qais, a tour of the 'Desert Castles', a visit to the Baptism Site at Bethany on the Jordan, or a tour into Israel to visit Bethlehem and Jerusalem. We can also arrange a transfer to Tel Aviv either by flight or overland for people wanting to connect this tour with our Fantastic Israel tour departure which starts on Monday.
OvernightN/A MealsBreakfast ExtrasExtra night - post-tour
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary
- All transport and transfers
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Local guide/tour leader throughout (groups of 6 or more, smaller groups use local site guides)
- All camping equipment in Wadi Rum
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Tipping kitty
- International Flights (available on request)
- Visa fees (20JD, approx. US$30)
- Travel Insurance (compulsory, available from Encounters Travel)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Entrance fees (allow approx. US$120)
- Hotel Gala Dinner supplements if applicable (24/12 and 31/12)
- Drinks, snacks, and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tips for your tour guide/driver
- Any other items not mentioned above