Indian Express, India
This relaxing 8-day Golden Triangle tour is the perfect introduction to India. The tour starts with a full day tour of Old and New Delhi before we head to Agra where we spend the afternoon visiting Agra Fort and the beautiful Taj Mahal at sunset. The tour then takes in the pink city of Jaipur, where we visit the nearby Amber Palace and tour the city. After a little free time to explore the markets and perhaps try some traditional local kite flying, we head into rural Rajasthan to see the colourful outdoor frescoes at Shekhawati. We finally return to Delhi where you have free time to shop, eat and explore before a final night in this buzzing city.
Private tour optionIf our scheduled departure dates don’t work for you, or you would prefer not to travel with a group, then we can also run this tour privately for you. Please contact us for more information and prices.
- Day 1 Arrive in Delhi. Transfer to hotel
- Upon arrival our staff will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel in Delhi for the start of your trip. After check-in our local reps will then go through the itinerary with you and introduce you to the local area.
OvernightDelhi - Sarovar Portico hotel or similar ExtrasSingle Room Supplement
- Day 2 Sightseeing tour of Old and New Delhi
- A full day to explore the sights of India’s capital. Enjoy a cycle rickshaw ride through the intricate and chaotic streets around Old Delhi and visit the Jama Masjid mosque before moving on to the Lutyens inspired wide avenues of New Delhi. After a visit to Mahatma Gandhi’s cremation ground at Rajghat take time to stroll around the Indian parliament buildings as well as India Gate and Humayun’s Tomb. This evening enjoy a welcome dinner at a local restaurant.
OvernightDelhi - Sarovar Portico hotel or similar MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 3 Delhi to Agra. Visit to Taj Mahal
- This morning we depart Delhi for the drive to Agra, arriving in time for lunch. After another taste of local Indian food, this afternoon we visit the UNESCO world heritage site at Agra Fort. This is a huge complex with some fascinating history. Later in the afternoon we enjoy a full sightseeing tour of the beautiful Taj Mahal at sunset. Truly one of the wonders of the world this elaborate monument to love was built by the Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan and took over twenty two years to complete. Sunset is a great time to visit as the light changes gradually with the colours of the Taj changing too.
OvernightAgra - The Retreat Hotel MealsBreakfast
- Day 4 Agra to Jaipur. Fatehpur Sikri visit
- We break today’s drive to Jaipur to visit the strange and well preserved abandoned city of Fatehpur Sikri. The mystical abandoned city of Fatehpur Sikri, constructed by Emperor Akbar, served as the Mughal Empire's capital from 1571 until 1585. We also stop at Keoladeo National Park where we take a cycle rickshaw ride through the park to see the resident and migrant wildlife. The park is particularly famous for its birdlife, though you may also see snakes, lizards and turtles around the ponds. After lunch we continue driving through rural India, arriving into Jaipur late in the afternoon. This evening, why not take in a fun Bollywood movie.
OvernightJaipur - Shahpura House Heritage Hotel MealsBreakfast
- Day 5 Amber Palace. Jaipur tour
- This morning we visit the Amber Palace which is a well preserved fort on a hillside around 10km outside Jaipur. Here we enjoy a guided tour through the site. Elephant rides up to the fort are available though we no longer include these on this tour due to concerns about elephant welfare. We then tour Jaipur itself, taking in the Hawa Mahal (Palace of the Winds), Jantar Mantar (Observatory), City Palace and some local temples and street life. You then have some more free time and tour options including a chance to visit the Chowki Dhani village in the evening to learn more about traditional Rajasthani culture and crafts, and taste some delicious regional cuisine.
OvernightJaipur - Heritage Hotel MealsBreakfast
- Day 6 Jaipur. Shekhawati Havellis
- You have a little free time in Jaipur this morning when you can try some optional tours including kite flying, craft markets and food shopping and tasting. Late in the morning we head into the rural semi-desert Shekhawati region whose colourfully painted Havellis with frescoes showing animals and mythology, together with more modern interpretations, led to its reputation as the ‘open art gallery of Rajasthan’. We spend the night in another heritage hotel, full of character, faded grandeur and history. These hotels are a real highlight of this tour and travelling through Rajasthan.
OvernightShekhawati - Heritage Hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 7 Shekhawati. Drive to Delhi
- Today we leave rural Rajasthan and drive back to Delhi. En-route we'll stop at Cyber Hub or Ambience Mall at Gurgaon on the outskirts of Delhi for lunch and a taste of modern India. The rest of the afternoon and evening is free for you to explore Delhi and do some final sightseeing or shopping.
OvernightDelhi - Sarovar Portico hotel or similar MealsBreakfast
- Day 8 Delhi. Departure transfer to airport
- You have some free time in Delhi today before we transfer you to the airport for your departure. If you wish, why not add an extension to Ranthambore National Park, or head to the beach at Goa.
OvernightN/A MealsBreakfast ExtrasExtra night - post-tour, Goa beach extension, Ranthambore National Park Safari
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary
- All transport and transfers
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Services of a local tour leader throughout
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- International flights
- Visa fees
- Travel Insurance (compulsory)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tips for driver and/or tour guide
- Entrance fees (allow approx. US$66)
- Any other items not mentioned above