Aegean Legacy, Turkey
A great way to experience all that Turkey has to offer, this 11-day tour explores cosmopolitan Istanbul and the ancient sites of Troy, Pergamum and Ephesus before ending with a 3-night cruise on board a traditional Turkish gulet.
Private tour optionIf our scheduled departure dates don’t work for you, or you would prefer not to travel with a group, then we can also run this tour privately for you. Please contact us for more information and prices.
- Day 1 Arrive in Istanbul. Transfer to hotel
- Upon arrival our staff will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel in Istanbul for the start of your trip.
OvernightIstanbul - 4 star hotel
- Day 2 Istanbul. Old city tour
- Our trip begins this morning with a full day tour of Istanbul. Lying across two continents this historically important city played an integral role in the development of both the Byzantine and Ottoman Empires. We visit the 17th century Blue Mosque, the Aya Sofya museum and explore the former residence of the Ottoman Sultans at Topkapi Palace before ending at the famous Hippodrome.
OvernightIstanbul - 4 star hotel MealsBreakfast
- Day 3 Gallipoli battlefields and memorials tour
- We depart Istanbul this morning for the drive to Gallopoli where we will receive a fully guided tour of this World War I battlefield site. Although home to some of the fiercest fighting during the War today the site is full of poignant memorials set against a subdued wooded landscape. Our tour will include the Lone Pine and Chunuk Bair memorials, ANZAC Cove, Johnston Jolly as well as The Nek and Gallipoli Museum. There will also be chance to see the original trenches and tunnels used during the war before we head to our hotel in Canakkale.
OvernightCanakkale - 4 star hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 4 Tour of Troy and the Acropolis of Pergamum
- This morning we make the short drive to the ancient city of Troy. Lying undiscoverd until midway through the 19th Century the excavations here brought the legend of the Trojan horse and the poems of Homer back to life. We then continue our drive south to the acropolis of Pergamum. A former kingdom we enjoy a full tour of the site including the Temple of Trajan and the famous library which is believed to have rivalled the library of Alexandria and helped shape Pergamum into a renowned cultural and political centre.
OvernightKusadasi - 4 star hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 5 Kusadasi. Ephesus Roman ruins tour
- After breakfast we drive to the Roman site of Ephesus. The city at one time housed 250,000 people and is regarded as one of the best preserved ancient cities in the Mediterranean. We visit the Temple of Artemis, and explore the ancient marble streets of this ruined Roman city. This afternoon we visit the fruit wine growing village of Sirince and learn about the history of carpet weaving in Turkey.
OvernightKusadasi - 4 star hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 6 Pamukkale and Hierapolis. Drive to Marmaris
- We travel east this morning to Pamukkale, site of the well known white calcium terraces known as Travertine’s. Pamukkale translates as ‘cotton castles’ and the naturally occurring geology here has created cloud like formations unlike anywhere else. We then head to the ancient city of Hierapolis to enjoy a dip in the hot thermal pools lodged amongst ancient columns left by the Romans who used the pools for their therapeutic powers. In the afternoon we head to the Mediterranean coast at Marmaris.
OvernightMarmaris - 4 star hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 7 Marmaris. Free time. Board Gulet
- Your morning is free to explore Marmaris, check out the beach or walk along the seafront promenade. In the afternoon you'll board a traditional Turkish Gulet in Marmaris Harbour at around 3:30 pm. You can then relax with a welcome drink on board during a pre-cruise briefing. In the evening enjoy dinner on board while meeting the other passengers (Note - we run this tour alongside our other Turkey tours so the group may split in Pamukkale with not everyone heading to Marmaris to board the Gulet. You'll therefore meet some new travellers on board).
OvernightOn board Gulet, Marmaris Harbour MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 8 Gulet Cruise
- After breakfast we cruise to Ekincik and the beautiful beach of Izturu, which is famous for the sea turtle called Carette. The ancient city of Caunos is closeby where you can take a boat trip up the Dalyan river, passing Lycian rock tombs on the way to the sulphurous mud baths and hot springs. Fully staffed and housed with individual en-suite double cabins these vessels offer us the perfect chance to unwind and enjoy the sunshine (Note - twin or single cabins are not generally available, but most people tend to choose to sleep on deck under the stars).
OvernightGulet Cruise MealsBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Day 9 Gulet cruise
- As we continue our Mediterranean cruise today we will sail towards world-famous Gocek Gulf and anchor at Tersane Island for breakfast and a swimming break. We then cruise onward to Monastery Bay which is also known as Cleopatra Bay or Sunken Bath Bay due to the beautiful underwater ruins of an old bath.
OvernightGulet cruise MealsBreakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Day 10 Gulet cruise to Fethiye.
- Arrive at Fethiye Harbour early in the morning where you have chance to visit city centre. We offer the option of a jeep safari tour in Fethiye. For those who will not join the Safari, the boat will cruise to Samanlik Bay for lunch and swimming. Afterwards around 16.30 the boat will anchor at Ece Saray Marina and guests will leave the boat with precious memories. The rest of the evening is free.
OvernightFethiye - 4-star hotel MealsBreakfast, Lunch
- Day 12 Antalya. Free time. Transfer to airport
- Your last day is left free for some final sightseeing and shopping until your departure airport transfer. Several cheap airlines fly back to the UK from Antalya or you can transfer through Istanbul.
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary
- All transport and transfers
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Services of a local tour leader throughout
- Entrance fees to various sites
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Tipping kitty
- International Flights (available on request)
- Visa fees
- Travel Insurance (compulsory, available on request)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks and other personal expenses (eg. laundry)
- Tips for guide, driver & gulet crew
- Any other items not mentioned above