Moroccan Mosaics, Morocco
This tour gives a deep insight into the incredible history and culture of Morocco. This 9-day trip starts with a full day tour of the magical city of Marrakech, we visit mosques and minarets and bustling bazaars. The next day we leave and head through Berber villages as we travel over the highest mountain pass in Africa and visit the UNESCO site of Ait Benhaddou before reaching Ouarzazate. We then head on to the town of Tinghir, visiting Dades Canyon and Todra Gorge. The next highlight is a 4WD desert safari near Merzouga and an night in the desert at a comfortable Berber camp. We continue through the desert to Zagora before heading back via Ouarzazate to Marrakech. Accommodation is in 4-star hotels, plus the desert camp.Note: From 2014 the tour will include 8 breakfasts and 2 dinners (on Days 4 & 5). On other days you will eat your evening meals at local restaurants instead of in the hotels.
- Day 1 Arrive into Marrakech
- Upon arrival our staff will meet you at the airport and transfer you to your hotel for the start of your trip.
OvernightMarrakech Hotel MealsDinner ExtrasSingle Room Supplement, Extra night - pre-tour
- Day 2 Marrakech, city tour
- Today’s tour of Marrakech begins with a trip to the iconic Koutoubia Mosque, home to the minaret which has become a symbol of the city. We then visit the Mausoleum and Bahia Palace which both host intricate and beautiful Arabic craftsmanship. In the afternoon we head to the lively souks around Jemaa El Fna square. Home to many different types of traders these bustling and aromatic streets are uniquely Moroccan. Today’s tour ends at the lively Djemaa El Fna Square.
OvernightMarrakech Hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 3 Drive to Ouarzazate via Ait Benhaddou
- After breakfast this morning we have a spectacular drive across the Tizi N'tichka col which at 2260m is the highest pass in Northern Africa. We then drive to Morocco's most well known Kasbah at the UNESCO world heritage site of Ait Benhaddou. After lunch we head on to Ouarzazate or 'place of no noise'. An incredibly dramatic landscape, this area has played host to countless well known films.
OvernightOuarzazate Hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 4 Drive to Tinghir via Boulmane
- Departing this morning along the road of a thousand Kasbahs we visit the beautiful Kasbah found at Amerhidel and then arrive into Boulmane from where we visit the impressive Dades Canyon offering great views of the surrounding desert landscape. Later we drive on to Tinghir where we overnight.
OvernightTinghir hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 5 Todra Gorge, then 4WD safari and camping at Merzouga
- We start this morning with a visit to the nearby Todra Gorge, before continuing our drive through the Atlas Mountains and transferring into 4WD vehicles to travel through the dunes to Merzouga. Here we will watch the sunset over the desert before sleeping under the stars in a traditional Berber camp.
OvernightBerber desert camp MealsBreakfast, Dinner ExtrasSunset desert camel ride
- Day 6 Merzouga. Drive to Zagora
- After breakfast with our Berber hosts we then continue our drive through the dunes to Rissani and the birthplace of the Alaouita Dynasty. We leave our 4WD vehicles here and drive to Erfoud. Lodged in an idyllic setting between the Atlas mountains to the north and the Sahara desert to the south, Erfoud is the administrative capital of the region. Our final stop is at the town of Zagora.
OvernightZagora Hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 7 Drive to Marrakech via Ouarzazate
- After breakfast this morning we depart for Ouarzazate by crossing the imposing Draa Valley. Bordered by palm groves this sparsely populated town is close to the village of Tamegroute - an important site for Sufi Muslims which we will visit. We then travel back over the Tizi N'tichka col and on through local Berber villages back to Marrakech.
OvernightMarrakech Hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner
- Day 8 Marrakech. Free Day (various day trip options)
- Your day is free today to explore Marrakech further, and perhaps do some final souvenir shopping and sightseeing. Alternatively, we offer a range of day trips and excursions, including a spectacular hot air balloon flight.
OvernightMarrakech Hotel MealsBreakfast, Dinner ExtrasMarrakech Quad-biking, Imlil day trip
- Day 9 Marrakech. Departure transfer to the airport
- Your time is free today until we transfer to the airport for departure flight. Depending on your flight time, you may be able to arrange some futher options this morning.
OvernightNone MealsBreakfast ExtrasExtra night - post-tour
- All accommodation as stated in the itinerary
- All transport and transfers
- 24-hour airport arrival & departure transfer service
- Services of a local tour leader throughout
- Local English speaking guide during the sightseeing
- Meals as indicated in the itinerary
- Entrances fees to monuments as stated
- International Flights
- Visa fees
- Travel Insurance (compulsory, available on request)
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary
- Drinks, snacks, tips and other personal expenses (e.g. laundry)
- Tips for guide & driver
- Any other items not mentioned above